You shouldn’t be the only one enjoying holiday treats! What about your pooches? Of course, don’t go sharing what’s on your table but instead take some time and make your own dog-friendly treats for your beloved canine companion. We love this Gingerbread Men recipe by Sabrina Feber Nelson and Sarah Dickerson of Pretty Fluffy, which we found on Dogster. Your dogs will love it and you’ll all be able to appreciate holiday spirit.
3 Cups Wholemeal Flour
½ Teaspoon Cinnamon
½ Teaspoon Ground Cloves
1 Tablespoon finely chopped Ginger
1 ¼ Cups Water
¼ Cup Olive Oil
½ Cup Molasses
2 Tablespoons Honey
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees Celsius). Line a flat baking tray with baking paper.
1. Get two large bowls. In one bowl combine ¾ cup water, olive oil, molasses, and honey. In the second bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, cloves, and finely chopped ginger.
2. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet. Mix until all are combined. Slowly add the remaining ½ cup of water until the mixture forms a dough. Discard remaining water.
3. Divide the dough into two, wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 3.5 hours.
4. Once chilled, remove dough from refrigerator and roll out dough to ¼ inch thickness.
5. Use a Gingerbread Cookie Cutter to cut out the biscuits. Place on a flat tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden. Place on a baking rack to cool, then serve.
Makes approximately 20 Gingerbread Men.
The authors recommend decorating your gingerbread men with carob or melted yogurt drops to give them a face and buttons.