Hey, pug lovers! Today we’re celebrating all the incredibly fantastic things that make pugs our favorite alien-faced cutie pies. It’s Friday and what better way to unwind into the weekend than to look at a bunch of googly-eyed, curly-tailed pugs! Oh, and did we mention they’re our breed of the week?! That’s important! So hold onto your heart, because we’re about to overload it with cuteness.
Pugs are an amazing breed of dog and that’s no lie! Although some haters might think they look a little “pugly” or that their tongues are weird and they’re not very athletic, I’m here to tell you that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it’s all pug owners see. We love those little bundles of joy, so we thought we’d share a few fun facts about them (you’re going to love this). Happy Friday!
1. Pugs are the oldest breed of dog EVER. The breed has been around since 400 BC. Now that’s impressive! No wonder they’re so wise.
2. Pugs came about when Chinese Emperors needed something small and cute to sit on their laps. I think they found the perfect breed!
3. The ancient Chinese also believed to have valued pugs so much because they saw shapes of Chinese letters in the folds of their skin. I don’t know about seeing shapes in pugs’ skin rolls, but I do love those wrinkles to bits!
4. Pugs’ “squished face” appearance actually causes them to be very prone to catching colds. Aw! Make sure you wrap your little bundle of fur up this winter. And on the bright side you get to keep them warm with cuddles and cute outfits.
5. They are also extremely sociable dogs who are natural extroverts. This makes them friendly, excitable and totally into fashion!
6. Maybe you’ve heard this one before, but a group of pugs is called a grumble. A GRUMBLE! HOW CUTE IS THAT?!
7. Pugs are the largest breed in their group. Although that group is “toy” so it’s not hard to be the biggest. We still think these guys are pretty small and precision though!
8. Pugs snore due to their short but broad heads. This is called being brachycephalic.
9. Pugs are the most popular breed of dog in the U.S and have been for ages. I feel like we knew that already!
10. Pugs aren’t very good swimmers because of their short legs and all. But that doesn’t mean they don’t try!
And now I leave you with this adorable video of a pug experiencing a ball pit for the first time. Have a fantastic weekend!